Portal helps entrepreneurs start successful virtual businesses incl. creative agencies, architecture firms, consulting firms and more. We started working on the product in April 2020, right in the middle of the Covid crisis. 3 months later in July 2020 we launched in private beta and the response has been overwhelming.
Today, we are still a very small team. As we look towards a self-serve release of Portal, we're looking to add a few exceptional people to our team.
Who You Are
- You have good values. You have high integrity. You understand why diversity matters and make others feel like they belong. You're low ego and make the workplace more fun for everyone.
- You're experienced. You have 3+ years experience working on production software and have worked across the stack (server, web, mobile). You know the ins and outs of React, Typescript, and Go.
- You know what matters. We believe your education is irrelevant; we only care that you can build great products. Likewise, in your work you're not religious about any one technology and care more about making progress.
- You're a systems thinker. You don't identify as a particular (frontend/backend/etc.) engineer but are more interested in solving problems holistically.
- You're entrepreneurial. You are comfortable with ambiguity and thrive in fast-pasted environments. You've likely worked at startups before or might want to start one in the future.
- You're resourceful. You are a fast learner and have a “get things done” mentality. If you don't understand something you quickly determine what to do to push forward.
- You put users first. You think critically about the implications of what you're building. You're constantly putting yourself in shoes of the users and push back when necessary.
What You'll Do
- You'll ship. You'll be working on the core product to engineer solutions across multiple modules including payments, messaging, and notifications. Whether it's fixing a bug immediately or architecting a new feature, you'll move fast.
- You'll be an owner. You'll be the leader of multiple projects and be responsible for their success. This involves closely collaborating with the founders and other engineers, creating engineering tasks, writing documentation, and setting up new services and scalable infrastructure.
- You'll balance the short and long term. While knowing the importance of shipping quickly you also know how to craft thoughtful long-term technical strategy. You know when to address tech debt and when to improve infrastructure and processes (testing, code reviews, CI/CD).
- You'll help build the team. The first 10 members of a startup dictate the next 100. You'll help interview and recruit more talented engineers.
- You'll learn about startups. Aside from your core work, you'll have the opportunity to get involved in other areas - marketing, fundraising, selecting an office, etc.
Email email@example.com with the role (e.g. "Full Stack Engineer") in the subject line and a body with (1) a short paragraph about you & why you want to join and (2) any links to help us learn more about you.